Aftter using Dropbox for roughly a year to sync and share files between my laptop, desktop, smartphone and co-workers I have to say that this is by far the best Cloud based file sync/backup application!
It is so simple and intuitive to use that it makes you wonder if it will sufficient to meet your needs. The short answer is YES, YES, YES it WILL. Once you have installed the applications on your computer of choice you simply drag and drop files in the designated folders and they automatically synch between computers. Simple enough? Simple is good!
Another good feature of Dropbox is that you do not have to install the client on your computer to use Dropbox. You can simply go to www.dropbox.com and log in to get access to you files and folder. You can install the Dropbox client on many computers and share files to all of them. All you have to do is log in using the same account.
Dropbox also makes it very easy to publish your files online and share them with others that do not have a Dropbox account. Inside of your Dropbox folder there is a subfolder called Public. Any folder or file inside of the Public folder is public and accessible to the world. I often use this feature to send large files to my friends and co-workers. This eliminates the possibility of e-mail clogging and bounced e-mails due to file size or type limitations. To openly share a file you simply add it to the Public folder, copy the publicly accessible link and send that link. You could even host a simple website hosted entirely in your Drobox Public folder.
BOTTOM LINE: If you find you email files to yourself on a regular basis, carry a USB drive around, Burn CDs with files, forget your CDs or USBs, have a backup of your valuable files, like to share photos with your friends and family and want to have access to your most important files from anywhere then Dropbox is a fantastic service and you should give it a try. It will make your life easier and less stressful and file synching and sharing will no longer be a burden for you!
To sign up for Dropbox go to: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyMDkzNjE5
- Basic – 2GB: Free
- Pro 50 – 50GB: $9.99/month or $99.00/year
- Pro 100 – 100GB: $19.99/month or $199.00/year
- Mobile: iPhone – iPad – Android – Blackberry
- Documents to Go
- Fuze Meeting
- Air Sharing HD
- Sprite Backup
- JotNot Scanner
- Caster:Mobile Studio
- Free 2GB.
- Web interface to upload and access files
- Multi-Platform Support – Mac, Windows, Linux Compatible
- Allows sharing of files
- Very easy to use
- Offers a mobile application for most major smartphone devices
- Sync files of any size or type
- Automatically syncs when new files or changes are detected
- Work on files in Dropbox even when you are offline
- Efficient sycn will only transmit the file changes, and not the whole file
- You can set bandwidth limits
- You can see other people’s changes instantly
- Automatically create shareable online photo galleries from folders of photos in your Dropbox
- Automatic backup of your files
- Undelete files and folders
- Restore previous versions of your files
- 30 days of undo history, with unlimited undo available as a paid option
- Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite
- All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL)
- All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password
- Dropbox employees are not able to view any user’s files
- Access your Dropbox on the go
- Mobile applications limited in functionality
- It CAN’T get any easier than that!!!
© 2010, SaaSChronicles. All rights reserved.